COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT, LAND USE & REAL ESTATE
Students interested in legal placements should contact Elizabeth Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FOCUS St. Louis
The organization's mission is to create a cooperative, thriving region by engaging citizens in active leadership roles to influence positive community change. The organization also functions as the region's citizen's league. FOCUS develops leaders by providing cutting-edge program opportunities; engages citizens to examine and address critical issues which shape the region and its future; and influences community policy by promoting region-wide dialogue and problem-solving, facilitating collaborative initiatives, and informing policy-makers. Good government, racial equality and social justice, quality educational opportunities, and sustainable infrastructure are the group's highest priorities.
- Opportunities: Legal intern positions are available to work on the Environmental Justice Project, which is an EPA contract. Issues to be addressed include hazardous household waste and smart growth (e.g., real estate, land use). Interns will have the opportunity to research; draft model codes, position papers and briefs; do advocacy; and assess public policy. Will provide good experience in educating the government and interacting with agencies.
- Qualifications/Requirements: 2nd or 3rd year student, resume, interview, training, 15 hours per week but can be done any days and some evenings, work need not be done on site
Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
LSEM is a private, non-profit organization providing legal assistance and equal access to justice for low-income people in civil cases. Some of the areas addressed by the office include: domestic violence/family law, subsidized housing, homelessness (including homeless adolescents), homeowners' mortgage default and foreclosure, elderly issues, AIDS, health and welfare, immigration, access for children to appropriate educational services, and the volunteer lawyer program.
- Opportunities: legal interns needed for above departments; tasks include: client intake, drafting pleadings and motion, filing at courthouses, research, assisting with interviewing clients, setting court dates, case management, drafting financial agreements, investigation, and advocacy.
- Qualifications/Requirements: positions for all level students, some positions have preference for Rule 13, immigration unit prefers students who have had immigration class(es) and speak a second language; initial screening and then interview with attorney in desired unit; hour long orientation required.
Dutchtown South Community
Dutchtown South provides information and counseling on available community resources, especially on housing and public safety issues. Dutchtown South offers homeownership counseling program to educate families about owning their own home. Its service area consists of the Dutchtown, Mount Pleasant, and Gravois Park neighborhoods.
- Opportunities: investigate potential fraudulent lending by gathering information from the recorder's office and various other sources, provide support for property acquisitions in 10th ward
- Qualifications/Requirements: prefer 5-10 hours per week (although could be more if interested), can work days or evenings
- Contact: Debbie Irwin, 4204 Virginia Street, St. Louis 63111, 314-647-8629, fax 314-647-1157